Sunday, February 17, 2013

I'm Not Coming Back!





                                 I’m going to follow God,
                                 I’m not coming back
                                                                Navajo Saying


How many times have we ever gone someplace and realized that we would never be coming back?  I know I haven’t.   Most people, when they plan a trip, almost always plan a return trip.   The return may not be immediate.   In fact, it may be many years down the road.   However, we almost always plan to come back home.   

I read this powerful little quote in a newsletter named “Raven’s Bread”.   It is a Navajo poem and was sent in by a woman who was sharing her thoughts on it.   I will be forever in this woman’s debt.

This little quote has had a huge impact on me.  The first line is something I’ve heard countless times in my Christian journey, said by myself and many other people who love the Lord and want to follow Him.   However, the second line of this little poem really struck me.  I never realized that when you follow the Lord, there is no return trip, there is no coming back, there is no going home.  

How I managed to miss that one is beyond me…it is all over the gospels.   Jesus said it most blatantly when He told Peter to let the dead bury the dead.  Nevertheless, miss it I did.  It made me realize that in my journey with the Lord I had been holding onto things…things in my past…things I thought I needed…things that made me feel safe.  It was like I was hedging my bets without realizing it.

As I thought about all this, I just decided to let it all go…throw it all to the wind and follow the Lord without reservation, without holding on, without “things”.  It gave me the first taste of freedom that I had in a long time.  How good it feels to say “I’m not coming back!”

I would love to know what your thoughts are on this little poem.   Please write a comment and let me know if it has any impact on you and please share what that impact may be.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, you write so well! I've always said I love simple truths, and this is profound and thought-provoking. I'm not sure its depth would have hit home right away without your exploration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete